Saturday, October 18, 2014

lone tree

I love this time of year. The light is so clear and golden as the sun sets. It makes the trees glow with color. Sure there is a bit of sorrow as the seasons progress into winter. Or maybe it is not sorrow but a lingering fear of the dark that we must go through until spring. But for now, it is time to seize the moment and enjoy the splendor.

Well, that is a bit of an over-written paragraph. I guess I really have been working hard. New studios do always take more energy than anticipated. Even though my new studio is absolutely fabulous. And I did book more craft shows than usual. After all, I got into the Philadelphia Museum of Art Craft Show for the first time in years.  Let me shout that one loud and clear.

I must take full advantage of this opportunity because it may be years before I get in again. What can I make? What do I need? What will sell? I must not over think it. That would be a waste of precious time and energy.  I must not get nervous. Just make what I want with just a bit of an eye toward selling the quilt.

I just sent two quilts off for a trial placement. Oh I do miss them already. Who knows if they will find their new homes. I don't want to make work just like them. I need something new and fresh. Something that makes me want to complete the quilts to see what they will look like.

early summer--45x45"--quilt--Ann Brauer--photo by John Polak.
late summer--45x45"--quilt--Ann Brauer--photo by John Polak

Then it dawns on me. A golden tree against the sky. Just one tree. Will it shine in the light? Tell a simple story? In colors so lush and rich I have to finish it. Rich blues and teals. Of course I start.

lone tree--quilt--Ann Brauer


Yes, that is undeniably lovely. I must continue.

lone tree--quilt--Ann Brauer

Will the teal on the bottom carry the blues? Should it be darker? I must continue sketching it out.

lone tree--quilt--Ann Brauer

Amazing how many blues I need. How few blues I have. Note to self-- I must make it to the fabric store sometime soon. For now I rummage through my fabric drawers finding snippets here. Little wedges there. This takes longer than anticipated.

lone tree--quilt--Ann Brauer

But still the gradual fading of the colors does make the teal stand out more, doesn't it? I must add the splash of yellow. How will that look? A couple more rows of blue. So much to do. How light will it get at the top? Then the sewing it together. So much slower than I think it should be as the quilt gradually discloses itself. That is for tomorrow. And tomorrow. You know that saying.

At least I have a start. And you--do you have a favorite tree in autumn? How do you start a quilt? Will I see some of you at the Philly Museum Show--November 6-9--at the Convention Center?  For more information: pmacraftshow.org/







No comments:

Post a Comment