Tuesday, June 16, 2015

construction zone

I don't know if this ever happens to you, but sometimes I just get in the mood to work with a certain color and then I have to figure out what to do with it. This time it is black and white with just a bit of red.

First, for those who follow me on Facebook, I have almost finished this red moon quilt. Don't you love the simplicity of the halo and the soft drama of the red?

moon quilt--quilt--Ann Brauer--40x40 inches


Then I decided to work on a couple black and white flames. Again a simple statement. But then how to put them together.

quilt--Ann Brauer--wip

Is this too busy? Does the red detract from the simplicity? Yes, it needs one more and I haven't quilted it yet but I did want to see what happens?

quilt--wip--ann brauer


Should they be hung slightly apart? Does this make it easier to examine each one? Interesting question.

What if I hang them like this? Another coastal scene. I do find it an interesting arrangement, don't you?

quilt--wip--ann brauer

Of course I could create just one long wall hanging. Maybe a table runner. Or over the sofa.

quilt--ann brauer--wip
And of course I could include the moon quilt. What fun this would be? Very different. For a large wall or a corporate office.

quilt--wip--ann brauer
And finally this interesting arrangement. The moon stretching beyond into space. Almost a feeling of motion here isn't there? But is the yellow distracting? I know I need a third but should I remake the other flames also?

quilt--ann brauer--wip


It would make a great statement on the back wall of my booth. Maybe in a formal office setting. And of course the quilts could be sold separately--yes, I am always thinking about that bottom line--if you know what I mean. Oh I wish I had time to make all of them. It is hard to decide isn't it? What would you choose? Do you ever play like this with your designs?


3 comments:

  1. I have been following your work for some time and love what you do. I love your latest circular pieces. Now I LOVE the last one the best and think it would look amazing to make one that is one large horizontal piece with the moon on the left and the flame parts on the right as you have it but the flame parts would go all the way across the work. Your work is all amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann, I do love the new direction you are taking your quilts and believe it is your best work.
    As for the above project, it strikes me more as Mars and not the moon. Also, I also think you could extend your quilt to the right and leave off the detached pieces and repurpose them. I hesitate to even make suggestions because you are the artist! Whatever you decide will be perfect.

    JulieAnn

    ReplyDelete